The National Archaeological Museum of Taranto is ones of the most important in Italy and was founded in 1887.
The Museum is located from the beginning in a building named as Convent of S. Pasquale or of the Alcantarini monks, erected in mid-18th century. The structure has been expanded during the 20th century by the erection of the Northern wing, named Ala Ceschi.
Starting from 1998 began the new restauration, part of it had been completed with the official opening during december 2007.
Actually it is possible to visit the first floor of the Museum, which hosts the greek, roman and apulian collections, among which the famous golds artifacts.
What to See
The National Archaeological Museum of Taranto is located in a building named as Convent of S. Pasquale or of the Alcantarini monks.
The building was erected shortly after the mid-18th century, and became home to the museum in 1887. The structure has been expanded and restored in several stages, starting in 1903 when Guglielmo Calderoni redesigned the façades. Carlo Ceschi is the architect responsible for the Northern wing, built between 1935 and 1941.
The new display focuses on the most significant objects in the museum collections and on the contexts from which they were excavated. The visitor, proceeding from the second to the first floor, will follow the history of Taranto and its territory in a chronological sequence: Prehistory and Proto-history, Greek Period, Roman Age, Late Antiquity and Middle Age. In the exhibition the dynamic interrelations with the pre-Roman native populations are not neglected as well.
On the first floor, whose opening is gradually in progress, a large space is given to the exceptional finds from the 4th-3rd century necropolis, from the funerary monuments to the tombs with gold objects, in a path winding as far as the period of the Romanization.
In the rooms dedicated to Roman Taranto, the magnificence of the city after Roman conquest is illustrated through the sculpted furniture, statues and mosaic floors of the private and public buildings of the imperial age.
In the corridors of the cloister, the history of the Museum and of the formation of the collections is illustrated; the display contains material which joined the museum collections through acquisitions and bequests, including the paintings given by Bishop Giuseppe Ricciardi.